Sean P. Brady
Mr. Brady practices principally in the areas of complex business litigation, construction law, insurance law, and civil appeals. His litigation experience has included representation of clients in corporate and shareholder disputes, breach-of-contract matters, residential and commercial construction disputes, insurance coverage and recovery matters, and maritime casualties. His appeals experience includes cases in both state and federal appellate courts. He has argued before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Brady graduated magna cum laude from Tulane University Law School in 2006 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. He also served as a managing editor of the Tulane Law Review and was a member of the Tulane Criminal Litigation Clinic. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Louisiana State University in 2000.
Mr. Brady has been admitted to practice before all Louisiana state and federal courts since 2006.
• Associated Pump & Supply, LLC v. Kevin P. Dupre, et al., 14-CV-09 (E.D. La. 2014)
Successfully defended a business owner and his new company against claims by his former employer. The former employer alleged that the business owner signed a noncompete agreement and was violating it. It also claimed that the business owner misappropriated trade secrets, committed unfair trade practices, and breached his fiduciary duties. After a two-day trial, the federal court rejected each of these claims and found in favor of the defendants. The former employer, who had sought hundreds of thousands of dollars and a permanent injunction, was awarded just $4,500 for a "technical" violation of a federal computer-use statute. The case then settled favorably.
• Moreno v. Entergy Corp., 2012-0097 (La. 12/14/12), 105 So. 3d 40
Representing Entergy post-judgment in a case of first impression, obtained a unanimous reversal by the Supreme Court of a lower-court opinion construing the Overhead Power Line Safety Act, La. R.S. 45:141–146, in a manner adverse to utility companies’ interests.
• St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Bd. of Com'rs of Port of New Orleans, 418 Fed. App'x 305 (5th Cir. 2011); CIV.A. 07-3053, 2011 WL 2457908 (E.D. La. June 17, 2011)
Successfully represented an excess insurer in a case of late notice by its insured. Obtained summary judgment for insurer; case settled thereafter.
• BizCapital Business & Industrial Development Corp. v. Union Planters Corp. (2010)
Representation of the plaintiff in this multi-million-dollar business dispute in Civil District Court in New Orleans. After a five-day jury trial and a verdict, the case settled on confidential terms.
• Rainey v. Entergy Gulf States, Inc., 2009-572 (La. 3/16/10), 35 So. 3d 215
Representing an Entergy subsidiary before the Supreme Court in a serious personal-injury case, successfully defended a divided appeals-court decision dismissing the plaintiff’s case.
• Nexen Petroleum U.S.A., Inc. v. Sea Mar Div. of Pool Well Services Co., 497 F. Supp. 2d 787 (E.D. La. 2007)
Representation of plaintiffs in a case involving allision of offshore supply vessel and a semi-submersible drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The allision caused tens of millions of dollars in physical and economic damages. The parties entered into a confidential settlement agreement on the morning of trial.
Recent Litigation Experience
• Representing two companies that participated in the clean-up effort after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The representation has involved defense of hundreds of personal injury, wage payment, discrimination, and other claims.
• Representing the building owner in a dispute involving a foundation failure at a medical office building.
• Representing a developer in a dispute regarding redevelopment of a historic Warehouse District structure as mixed-income housing.
• Representing a former shareholder of an offshore services company in a dispute over responsibility for a company liability.
• Representing a producer and distributor of liquid natural gas (LNG) in a maritime proceeding arising out of an explosion and fire caused by a tugboat allision.
• Representing a wholesale insurance broker against claims of professional negligence in connection with the placement of coverage for an insured.
Other Professional Experience
Associate in the Maritime, Oilfield, and Insurance Coverage section of the law firm of Liskow & Lewis, New Orleans, 2006-2009
• Louisiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2013-14)
• New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyer - Construction Law (2013)
Professional, Business & Civic Affiliations
• Member, Louisiana State and New Orleans bar associations
• Member, Federal Bar Association