Areas of Practice
Tulane Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
- Managing Editor, Tulane Law Review
- Order of the Coif
Louisiana State University, B.A., 2000
Sean Brady practices principally in the areas of complex business litigation, construction law, insurance law, and civil appeals. His litigation experience has included representation of clients in corporate and shareholder disputes, breach-of-contract matters, residential and commercial construction disputes, employment disputes, insurance coverage and recovery matters, and maritime casualties. His appeals experience includes cases in both state and federal appellate courts.
Mr. Brady graduated magna cum laude from Tulane University Law School in 2006 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. He also served as a managing editor of the Tulane Law Review and was a member of the Tulane Criminal Litigation Clinic. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Louisiana State University in 2000. He has been admitted to practice before all Louisiana state and federal courts since 2006.
Mr. Brady is active in the Louisiana State Bar Association, serving on its Access to Justice and Outreach Committees. Mr. Brady also co-chairs the New Orleans Bar Association Young Lawyers Section’s Legalpalooza event, which benefits Southeast Louisiana Legal Services.
Successfully defended a business owner and his new company against claims by his former employer. The former employer alleged that the business owner signed a noncompete agreement and was violating it. It also claimed that the business owner misappropriated trade secrets, committed unfair trade practices, and breached his fiduciary duties. After a two-day trial, the federal court rejected each of these claims. The case settled thereafter.
Obtained judgment sustaining an exception of prescription and dismissing all claims of professional negligence against a wholesale insurance broker.
Representing client post-judgment in a case of first impression, obtained a unanimous reversal by the Supreme Court of a lower-court opinion construing the Overhead Power Line Safety Act, La. R.S. 45:141–146, in a manner adverse to utility companies’ interests.
Successfully represented an excess insurer in a case of late notice by its insured. Obtained summary judgment for insurer; case settled thereafter.
Representation of the plaintiff in a multi-million-dollar business dispute in Civil District Court in New Orleans. After a five-day jury trial and a verdict, the case settled on confidential terms.
Representing client before the Supreme Court in a serious personal-injury case, helped successfully defend a divided appeals-court decision dismissing the plaintiff’s case.
- Representation of plaintiffs in a case involving allision of offshore supply vessel and a semi-submersible drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The allision caused tens of millions of dollars in physical and economic damages. The parties entered into a confidential settlement agreement on the morning of trial.
Recent Litigation Experience
- Representing companies that participated in the clean-up effort after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The representation has involved defense of hundreds of personal injury, wage payment, discrimination, and other claims.
- Representing a building owner in a construction dispute involving a foundation failure at a medical office building.
- Representing a developer in a dispute regarding redevelopment of a historic Warehouse District structure as mixed-income housing.
- Representing a former shareholder of an offshore services company in a dispute over responsibility for a company liability.
- Representing a producer and distributor of natural-gas liquids (NGLs) in a maritime proceeding arising out of an explosion and fire caused by a tugboat allision.
Other Professional Experience
- Associate in the Maritime, Oilfield, and Insurance Coverage section of the law firm Liskow & Lewis, New Orleans, 2006-09
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association Access to Justice and Outreach Committees
- Member, 2014-15 Leadership LSBA Class
News & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation (2017)
- Named a Louisiana Super Lawyers® Rising Star (2013-17)
- Named a member of the 2014-15 Leadership LSBA Class by bar president, Joseph L. Shea, Jr.
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013-17)
- Presented paper entitled Business Torts and Commercial Claims 101 at 2016 Louisiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting in Destin, Florida
- Louisiana (2006)
- U. S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2006)
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (2006)
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (2006)
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2006)