Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (B.A., cum laude, 1997)
Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (J.D., 2000)
Jamie Cangelosi concentrates her practice in commercial litigation, where she represents universities, oil and gas companies, law firms and attorneys, manufacturers, and other commercial entities.
She also practices transactional law, particularly with regard to the oil-and-gas industry, including drafting and negotiating contracts and handling general corporate matters.
Ms. Cangelosi has represented both debtors and creditors in Chapter 11 reorganization cases and in bankruptcy litigation arising out of such cases, including grocery store chains, major fast food franchises, shipyards, oil and gas companies, apartment complexes, officers and directors in corporate disputes, and business services companies. She has argued two cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, winning both times.
Ms. Cangelosi is a fellow of the Louisiana Bar Foundation. She is a 2000 graduate of LSU’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center, and she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude from Louisiana State University in 1997.
- Defending a public entity in a case alleging claims of negligence and vicarious liability for actions by a student in a leadership position.
- Representing a homeowner's association in a breach of contract claim against the building contractor and other entities.
- Defending a regional manufacturer and distributor of industrial equipment in a personal-injury lawsuit.
- Representing a barge owner in a breach of maritime contract claim against a charterer.
- Defense of an apartment-complex owner in a negligence case. After a three-day jury trial in state court, the jury allocated only 15% fault to the defendant.
- Defending a public entity in a whistleblower case alleging retaliation and improper termination of employment. The state court trial judge sustained the defense’s exceptions and dismissed the case with prejudice.
- Defending a former board chairperson in a First Amendment retaliation case. After a three-day jury trial in federal court, the district judge granted the defense a judgment as a matter of law and dismissed all claims. The ruling was affirmed by a federal appellate court.
- Defending a corporation in a breach of contract claim. The state court trial judge sustained the defense’s exception and dismissed the case with prejudice. The dismissal was affirmed by a state appellate court.
- Shelton v. Board of Supervisors of Southern University and A&M College, 532 Fed. Appx. 558 (5th Cir. 2013)
- In re SGSM Acquisition Co., L.L.C. (G.H. Leidenheimer Baking Company, Ltd. v. R. Patrick Sharp, III; Patton Sausage Company, Inc., et al. v. R. Patrick Sharp, III), 439 F.3d 233 (5th Cir. 2006)
- In re JJSA Liquidation Trust (Placid Refining Co. v. Oakridge Consulting, Inc.), 203 Fed. Appx. 572 (5th Cir. 2006)
- In re Gilbertson Restaurants, L.L.C., 2005 WL 783063 (Bankr. N.D. Iowa 2005)
- In re JJSA Liquidation Trust (Oakridge Consulting, Inc. v. J&A Snack Foods, Inc.), 2004 WL 1900513 (E.D. La. 2004)
- Mills v. Benson Motor Co. of New Orleans, Inc., 798 So. 2d 283, 01-273 (La.App. 5th Cir. 9/25/01)
- Vice-Chair, International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (Louisiana Network) (2011-14)
- Fellow, Louisiana Bar Foundation
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association Complex Litigation Committee
- Member, Phi Delta Phi
- Lecturer, Federal Bar Association seminar, “Bankruptcy for Beginners”
News & Recognition
- Co-Chairperson, Children’s Hospital Sugarplum Ball 2017
- Committee member, Sugarplum Ball, benefitting Children’s Hospital New Orleans (2012-present)
- Raffle chairperson, Children’s Hospital Sugarplum Ball (2015-16)
- Restaurant chairperson, Children’s Hospital Sugarplum Ball (2013-15)
- Committee member, Julia Jump, benefitting the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans (2015-16)
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013-15)
- Louisiana (2000)
- U. S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2000)
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (2000)
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (2000)
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2000)