Loyola University Law School, J.D., 2008
- Member, Loyola Law Review
- University of Vienna Law School Study Abroad Program
Louisiana State University, B.F.A., cum laude, 2004
Hon. Sally Shushan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Judicial Externship, 2007
Clay Bland counsels clients in transactional and litigation matters in the context of oil and gas production, insurance coverage/recovery, construction, admiralty, casualty, and commercial matters. He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating contracts for oil and gas producers and service contractors, including master service agreements, drilling contracts, charters, and construction contracts. His maritime experience is broad, covering complex insurance coverage matters and a wide variety of domestic and international admiralty disputes, including vessel casualties, collisions, groundings, and Jones Act/LHWCA personal injuries.
Mr. Bland graduated cum laude from Louisiana State University in 2004. He earned his law degree at the Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, where he a member of the Law Review and won the Best Comment Award for 2007-2008. While in law school, he was a judicial extern to the Honorable Sally Shushan, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
A member of both the Louisiana and New Orleans Bar Associations, Mr. Bland is also a member of the Federal Bar Association.
- Assisted in development of comprehensive transactional program for offshore Gulf of Mexico E&P company
- Developed and negotiated comprehensive transactional program for onshore E&P company with an emphasis on exploration and pipeline operations
- Overhauled and improved the transactional programs for multiple companies within the construction and oil and gas industries for upstream, downstream, and midstream entities
- Daily study, review, editing, negotiating, and drafting of complex contract-related matters, including master service agreements, drilling contracts, and purchase agreements, with a focus on maintaining integration within the contractual programs
- Assisted in the arrest and eventual sale of a large cargo vessel when owners failed to properly pay the preferred ship mortgage
- Successfully argued before the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals the affirmation of a dismissal concerning maritime liens
News & Recognition
- Winner of the Best Comment Award 2007-2008 by the Loyola Law Review for A Constitutional Limitation: The Controversy Surrounding the Military Commissions Act of 2006 and the Writ of Habeas Corpus, 53 Loy. L. Rev. 497 (2007)
- New Orleans CityBusiness’ “Ones to Watch: Law” (2013)
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013-15)
- Louisiana (2008)
- U. S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2010)
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (2009)
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (2009)