Tulane Law School, J.D., 2012, summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Tulane Law Review
Harvard University, B.A., 2002, with honors
Hon. James L. Dennis, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Judicial Internship, 2010.
Charles-Theodore Zerner practices in the areas of complex commercial litigation and civil appeals. His subject-matter areas include competition law, trade-secrets misappropriation, business torts, the False Claims Act, contractual disputes, and insurance matters. Clients operate in diverse industries, with many involved in the energy and health care sectors. Mr. Zerner was selected to the “SuperLawyers® Louisiana Rising Stars” list in 2016 and 2017 and inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America as an Associate Fellow in 2017.
Mr. Zerner also has significant experience using a range of e-discovery technologies in complex commercial cases to achieve his clients’ goals, including training predictive-coding algorithms, using clustering algorithms, data filtration tools, and drafting complex traditional text-based queries.
Mr. Zerner earned his undergraduate degree, with honors, from Harvard University. He earned his Juris Doctor summa cum laude from Tulane Law School, where he served as an articles editor on the Tulane Law Review and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Beyond the law, Mr. Zerner is bilingual (French and English), spent half his youth in France, and worked for years as a touring musician.
- Representing businesses accused of violating state antitrust laws and federal RICO statutes against a competitor’s claims of over $100 million.
- Representing, as appellate counsel, an independent mineral-exploration company ordered to pay millions in contract-based damages.
- Representing a national medical-device manufacturer against claims by the U.S. Dept. of Justice under the False Claims Act.
- Representing a hospital-system against its insurers to obtain millions in coverage under a directors, officers and entity liability policy.
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association
- Co-chair, New Orleans Bar Association “Legalpalooza” benefit concert series for Southeast Louisiana Legal Services
- Member, Tulane Law Review Alumni Association
- Member, French-American Chamber of Commerce (Gulf Coast Chapter)
News & Recognition
Named Associate Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (inducted in 2017). The LCA is a national trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent (0.5%) of American lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective, aggressively diverse, and by invitation only.
Named Super Lawyers® Louisiana Rising Stars (2016), (2017). The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5% of attorneys in each state.
- Named one of New Orleans’ Top Lawyers for Antitrust by New Orleans Magazine (November 2016).
While at Tulane Law School, Mr. Zerner earned the following honors:
Awards for highest grades in Secured Transactions, Internet Law, Civil Litigation Clinic Seminar, and Entertainment Law.
Performed oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit while working for the Tulane Civil Law Clinic.
- Inducted into the Order of the Coif.
While at Harvard University, Mr. Zerner was awarded the David Thompson McCord prize for exceptional creative talent.
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013-15)
- Louisiana (2012)
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2012)